March 4, 2013

Pigs to Slaughter

In the morning I am taking two hogs to Dyer's Slaughterhouse in Cookeville, TN. I am hoping they will weigh around 300-325 pounds each. I have really enjoyed the experience of raising hogs. I originally got them for two reasons. First, I wanted fresh pork in the freezer. Second, I wanted to learn about raising hogs and what better way to learn than to do.

Food is becoming more expensive every day. I bought three hogs when they weighed about 40 pounds. They will be killed tomorrow at around 325 pounds, and I will have approximately $1000 in them. This is just for purchase price ($50) each, grower, corn, and supplement. When I bought my corn, which was the largest input cost, it was at a record price (I know smart wasn't it).

I kept one gilt and purchased another. I am planning on getting them bred and farrowing them this spring. This fall I should have pigs ready to hog off the corn I am going to plant. If everything goes as planned, this fall I will have at least 10 hogs to slaughter and sell. I have already had people show interest in purchasing freezer pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment