March 12, 2013

Amanda's First Post!

Our greenhouse effort began this week!  On Sunday we planted 126 seeds (a variety of peppers, squash, and tomatoes).  When we checked the greenhouse Sunday night we realized the temperature was only going to hold steady at about 55 degrees Fahrenheit, we knew we had a problem.  Today we worked a lot more on increasing the temperature to the necessary 65 degrees required for germination.  We added insulation and plywood to the bottom 4 feet of the greenhouse where very little sunlight is absorbed anyway.  The added insulation, new door locks, and heater will hopefully increase the temperature needed.  This puts my seeds two days behind on the germination process, but it is better than losing an entire set.

 I absolutely love the planting process.  From making the labels to putting each seed into it's container, it just makes me happy.  The record keeping and watching the plants sprout and grow is simply amazing.  It reminds me daily of the power of God and what he can do.  This year I hope to make enough off the greenhouse to pay for our plants.  Next year will be better hopefully since we will have the high tunnel.  Today I am creating order forms and planning the last few seeds to purchase.  Over the next four weeks I will plant the rest of my seeds to allow for early to late crops with a five week span in plantings.  Overall, I am super excited for the greenhouse and garden season!

No comments:

Post a Comment