February 19, 2013

Soil Samples 2013

I had Monday off because it was Presidents Day, so it meant a full day of working on the farm. The first constructive thing I did was take my dog Jax squirrel hunting. We did not find any squirrels. The next thing I did was to take my soil samples. I believe soil sampling is extremely important to all farmers. The samples I took will yesterday will serve as a starting point. One of the goals in my farming adventure is to improve my soil's health.

Our farm here is composed of roughly fifty acres. I took eight soil samples from the pastures, one from the garden spot, and one for a native grass planting. I divided the eight pasture samples up based on the lay of the land, soil type, and how the area was used in the past. In each individual area I took soil from roughly fifteen different spots. This will give me a representative idea of what is going on in each area.

Last night Amanda and I processed the samples and got them ready to ship. We took each sample and mixed it well. Then we picked the leaves, rocks, and other foreign material out of it, boxed, and labeled them. I will send them to A&L Labs in Memphis TN, where they will be tested. I am curious to see the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment